Rev. Clint Smith
Sermon Direct Link
Every fight begins with hype. A sanctioned fight always announces who is fighting who. There is always emphasis on the contenders in each corner. Jude identifies the corners for us today.
- In their corner (v. 12-16, 18, 19)
- Dangerous reefs 1 Timothy 1:18-20
- Waterless clouds – carried along by the wind.
- Autumn trees – fruitless, twice dead, pulled up by the roots. Matthew 7:15-23
- Wild waves – foaming up with their shameful deeds.
- Wandering stars – reserved for the blackness of darkness forever.
- Their motive for the fight:
- Ungodly deeds
- Ungodly ways
- Ungodly harsh words
- Evil Desires
- Arrogant flatterers
- Division creators
- Natural people without the Holy Spirit
- And in the Christ corner:
- The Beloved Jude 1:1-3
- Strong in the faith
- Holy Spirit-filled Prayer Warriors
- Lovers of God
- Our motive for the fight:
- Supernatural beings in love with Jesus
- Compassion for sinners John 3:16
- Soul-winners Proverbs 11:30
- Haters of sin Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23
- (v. 24,25) The Referee, The Judge, The Helper of the Beloved – Jesus Christ is in our corner!
- He is able to keep us from stumbling!
- He joyfully presents us as faultless because of His payment of sin on the cross!
- He is our God!
- He is our Savior!
- He alone is all-wise!
- He deserves and will receive all glory!
- He deserves and has all majesty!
- He deserves and has all dominion!
- He deserves and has all power!
- He has been and will remain the Champion of Love forever! To God be the praise!
Are you contending for the faith?
When reviewing the motives of the contenders – do you look more like you belong to God or are you far from God?
Have you given your whole self to God?
Are you a Christian?
Jesus loves you – He is waiting for you!
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:10-12