Sermon Direct Link
Rev. Clint Smith
Counted Worthy – Acts 5
God will not use us if we are not willing to suffer for our faith. For our study today we will see the disciples put their faith into action. They experienced all that Jesus said they would.
• Jesus never hid the consequences or the rewards for following Him. He clearly shared with the multitudes and His own disciples what the cost and benefits would be to following Him. Matthew 5:1-10, “And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
• In John 15:18-21, “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.”
1. CHRIST DISCIPLES WERE COUNTED WORTHY TO WITNESS
- God the Father’s plan was for the disciples to witness after being filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4)
- God the Son’s (Jesus’) plan was for the disciples to be witnesses (Acts 1:8)
- God the Holy Spirit’s plan was for the disciples to be witnesses (Acts 2:4)
2. CHRIST DISCIPLES WERE COUNTED WORTHY TO TEACH AND PREACH (5:19-21)
- An angel of the Lord released the apostles and told them where to go and what to preach. God, the angels and the apostles were working together
- The apostles obeyed explicitly the commands of God. They taught the people.
- The apostles trusted God and preached salvation Jesus Christ alone.
3. CHRIST DISCIPLES WERE COUNTED WORTHY TO WORSHIP (5:27-32)
- The high priest and the council commanded the apostles to stop preaching the blood of Jesus. (27, 28)
- Peter preached evangelized the high priest and the council. He preached Jesus as Savior who came to GIVE repentance and forgiveness of sins.
- Peter told of the unfathomable worth of Jesus to save sinners and make them Christ witnesses through the power of the Holy Spirit.
4. CHRIST DISCIPLES WERE COUNTED WORTHY TO SUFFER (5:33-42)
- The high priest and council were convicted. Murder was on their unrighteous hearts. Gamaliel,(a respected teacher) spoke of his personal convictions. (34-39)
- The high priest and council listen to Gamaliel, yet they beat the apostles and commanded them never to witness in the name of Jesus again. (40)
- The followers of Jesus departed the council rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for Jesus’ name. They continued to be bold witnesses for Christ.
Are you willing to be Christ witnesses? What if it is difficult?
Are you willing to suffer for being a Christ follower?
Have you fully dedicated your life to following Christ, wherever He leads?
Do you have the VICTORY only found in obedience to Jesus?