Rev. Clint Smith
Sermon Direct Link
When the Church Chooses the Chosen – Acts 6:8-7:60
In today’s sermon there is one main thought that should be ingrained on your heart and mind. God’s forgiveness of sins is His here and now gift (Romans 6:23). He withdraws all unaccepted offers eternally at death.
Stephen shows us that Christians must remain faithful in confronting the culture. We like Stephen must exercise our faith and share Jesus boldly. Be like Stephen!
1. Stephen was arrested because he faithfully lived out his Christian calling.
2. Stephen boldly preached before the people, the elders and the scribes.
3. Stephen used the Holy Scriptures as his defense.
4. Stephen identified 10 faithful men who were counted as faithful before God. All examples except Jesus were sinful, yet forgiven. Jesus never sinned.
– Abraham (Genesis 11-25)
– Isaac (Genesis 21-26)
– Jacob (Genesis 25-49)
– Joseph (Genesis 37-50)
– Moses (Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
– Joshua (Exodus 17, Numbers 14, Joshua)
– David (1 Kings, 1 & 2 Samuel, Psalms)
– Solomon (1 Kings, Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes)
– The prophets (See Old Testament through John the Baptist)
– Jesus (Found throughout Scripture)
5. Though he was lied about, Stephen remained steadfast to proclaim the Truth.
6. Stephen showed God’s faithfulness throughout all generations.
7. The crowd was cut to the heart by the message Stephen preached, instead of repenting and turning to God, they murdered him.
Have you given your heart and life to Jesus Christ?
How is Stephen an example to follow for our generation?
Does our culture accept or reject the message of salvation in Christ alone?
Will you remain on the path of faithfulness even if it means you go it alone?